Jane,

I use Legacy primarily as a research tool, so I'm comfortable with things which
clash with "good" genealogy practice and may require care with anything to be
shared. Very commonly, I resort to the extensive and versatile "Placeholder"
family.

One example is a problem with my Pratts, where detail of an estate entailment
supports connection but points at the "wrong" brother. Pending resolution,
there's now an extra brother, "Entailed Pratt Placeholder" as my mother's
ancestor. His notes describe the problem and possible sources of info. This is
"quiet" regarding reports and charts, since it doesn't affect number of
generations, but visually obvious and quick to find since all "Placeholders"
list together and given names can offer keys. Removal is just trivial delinking
and relinking.

Another general example is helping use of Legacy where DNA is involved and
speculation can really run rampant. Some of my Placeholders are quite long
lived, hundreds, even thousands, of years, and have the ability to bridge from
my surname(s) to other genealogies or deep ancestries where DNA indicates
probability of connection but proven (or provable) linkage is lacking.

"Placeholders" can be tagged as a class, unlinked or mass deleted, so it's easy
to revert to conventional format for a report or other reason. Simply do a
backup, dump everything you don't want and when you are done, restore from the
backup.

kb