From: Jenny M Benson [mailto:ge...@cedarbank.me.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, 3 September 2014 6:52 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Sources

On 03/09/2014 08:09, June wrote:
> I have been using Legacy for many years as a record for me and my
> children of our family history.
>
> I have never used sources, instead putting information into notes, or
> even adding events – for example I have an event ‘Education’ then have
> added an event ‘About Education’ where I just put notes.
>
> Given what I am using Legacy for, I am wondering if there is any point
> in adding sources and if so what is the benefit, or for what I need
> are events and notes sufficient.
>
> I do realise at the end of the day that it is going to be a personal
> choice, but I would be interesting to hear from people why I would
> benefit from putting sources.
>
> I am happy to have emails sent directly to me rather than the list if
> this is the preferred method of contact.

If your method is working for you and you are quite happy, why change?

But a couple of things to consider are:

1  Are you recording enough Notes to enable you to find a particular record
again if you need to do so?

2  Are you ever going to want to pass on the results of your research to other
people?  If so, are you providing enough information for them to be able to
verify your research if they wish to do so?  And will other people take your
research seriously if it is not documented in a more conventional way?

--
Jenny M Benson