On 2015/03/03 17:46 PM, M Ross wrote:

> Where is the subject line I really don't understand this

An email is like a letter. It has an envelope and the contents. The Envelope
contains the email address of where the message is being sent to and the address
of the person sending it. It also (and this is debatable) contains the one-line
Subject of the message. The contents is your verbiage.

I see you're using gmail as an email address, and from the contents of your
earlier messages, it is not clear whether you're using a browser logged into
GMail or an offline email client. I suspect the former. In which case, when you
click on the Compose button from within gmail, you're shown a window that has
the title "New Message". Below that are two of the aforementioned envelope
fields: the To Address and the Subject. The other envelope fields are
automatically filled in for you. Below the Subject is where the Contents go,
Now, the Subject is important because it tells people concisely (or should do)
what your message is all about. Get it wrong and people are likely to ignore
you.

One other thing to mention is the thorny subject of Message Threading: this is
the grouping of related messages and their replies. Now, Google likes to think
that every message that has the same Subject line belongs to the same thread.
This is not strictly correct according to the Internet Standards, but when did
agreed standards ever bother Google or Microsoft. If you start a new message by
taking an existing message, changing the subject and replacing the contents with
your own, your message is not the start of a new thread: it's actually another
reply in the thread to which the starter message belongs to.

So, don't confuse 'Compose' with 'Reply'. The first starts a new thread, the
latter continues an existing one.

--
Regards,
Mike Fry (Jhb)