Hi Richard,
Are you talking about Legacy Report Charts OR Legacy Charting?
I'm confused as you talk about saving to JPG which you can do with
Legacy Charting but talk about Pedigree Chart which isn't an option in
Legacy Charting unless you are talking loosely and mean an Ancestor Chart.

In Legacy Charting you can add text boxes anywhere so long as you don't
try to put them on top of one of the name boxes as they slide underneath
and there doesn't seem to be an option to put them on top. These can be
coloured whatever you like and can all be different colours.

In neither can you colour the actual name boxes in the way you suggest
but in both you can have coloured boxes governed by different criteria.

Another option is to put your "annotation" in the Name Suffix field or
at least a symbol to indicate look elsewhere for the meaning. The code
can be put into a text box in Legacy Charting but there is no way to add
such additions to a Legacy Report Chart.

Cathy