John in regards to

you said

"User could add custom event that reports the status. But that would need
to be added by user every time they did an upload."

that is not correct.
As an old user I had a custom event for Adoption and still have a few
stragglers left.
They get exported just fine and tng imports them nicely, Just make sure to
"allow" the custom event in TNG.

Jay