Hi Janet,

In Legacy go to File - Import - Gedcom
When you get to the Gedcom Import screen after you have said which
Gedcom you want to import and which file you want to import it to (this
is where you name your new file) note that it has various options and a
Customise button.
You might want to import with the defaults and then, if notes or other
items aren't where you expect or as you expect, come back and import
again checking out the options.

Cathy