Hi Donna,

Doing a backup won't affect the Legacy files.  The backup file is a separate
.zip file.  In addition the backup creates a separate media.zip file.  To open
it you have to 'restore' the file in Legacy (File/Restore File).

You should check you USB drive to see if those two files are there - if so,
then the backup was successful.

The media files would not have been affected in any way unless, possibly, you
tried to restore the backup to the same computer.  Even then they should still
be on your hard drive.  So, your Legacy 7 file should still be intact -
including the media files.

You will have to let us know a little bit more of what you did.  Firstly, you
said you did a backup to your USB drive.  Did you then open Legacy 8 and try to
restore the file?  I don't remember if this is possible.  What is probably
better is to open your Legacy 7 file (.fdb) using Legacy 8 and give it a
different name.  Legacy 8 will then convert the file to the new format.

Bob