This should probably be in the Tools Utilities thread, but as Ive only
just joined this group after using Legacy for 20+ years, I cant figure
out how to post into a thread! (any clues welcome)

I'm doing a one-name study and thus I have several hundred people in my
file called "William Charman" - Legacy isnt too much help in locating
the right one so Ive written numerous MS Access queries that just help
me find the right one amongst many similarly named individuals - that
kind of thing.

Ive also occasionally (and very very carefully) used MS Access to update
the fbd file - I grew up in IT so I know about backups, testing, etc.

For some years Ive wondered about using an alternative to Microsoft
Access.  I'm still using Access 2000 and to purchase a modern equivalent
is really quite expensive - about $400-$500 here in UK. Ive tried Open
Office but can't see a way to link to the Legacy .fdb file. I know I can
set up an .mdb file containing links to the .fdb file, and Open Office
can open that as a kind of surrogate.  Has anyone found a way of opening
or making a link to an .fdb file in Open Office?

Even if this were possible, there is another problem in interpreting
Legacy dates. In MS Access I have a home written VBA function which
turns the 18-byte legacy date into a readable format.  As far as I know,
Open Office supports some kind of VBA in its equivalent of Word, Excel
and Powerpoint - but I cant find it in Base (its equivalent of Access).
Does anyone here know whether Open Office or its relatives can run VBA?

And lastly, are there any (free!) alternatives to MS-Access or
OpenOffice that might do the trick?

**