From: Don Quigley [mailto:dwquig...@cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 9 February 2016 8:38 a.m.
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Mods / Utilities for Legacy

Thanks for your reply, Brian.  I suspected about as much as you've stated.

TNG (The Next Generation of Generation of Sitebuilding,
http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/ ) is what I use to as a website to display my
family tree that I manage in Legacy.  I guess you could call it "open source"
in that the PHP scripts can be modified - and often with quite useful
improvements.  The better "mods" seem to eventually become part of TNG upgrades.

What I was looking for with Legacy was "utility" mods that could do things that
are not currently built into Legacy - such as reports tailored to user needs,
and simple Excel/Access editing or searching of Legacy databases.  I know you
didn't support LTools, and because it was a commercial product, there were
probably impediments to using a good idea from it (or any other 3rd-party
program) in subsequent versions of Legacy.

It just seems that if there were an active community of Legacy users (as there
is for TNG), with the ability to create mods for public use (at the user's own
risk), then good ideas would come quicker for future improvements to Legacy.
The mod would enable the value of a potential improvement to be assessed "in
advance" - rather than the current system of user suggestions and potential use
by Legacy in the future.

It also seems like a vibrant community of Legacy users, working together to
improve Legacy, would be good for the Millenia  Corp. as well.

Thanks again for hearing me out.

Donald Quigley
Escondido, CA
Quigley Doyle Family Tree