Martha,

your search criteria couldn't work. A person doesn't have both surnames so can't be Averill AND Simonare.

The way to get a nice relationship chart between the two and the way they are linked is MUCH simpler. Go to Tools - Relationship Calculator (not Set Relationships) and enter your 3rd great grandfather on one side and your grandson on the other.

Note if people are related in more than one way you can see each of them in full if you highlight each in turn. Or go straight to print, check out the print options and choose to print all relationships or just the one you're interested in. I print to PDF - it's a great chart to send to a recently discovered distant cousin.

Cathy

Martha Graham wrote:
Good Afternoon,
I was intrigued by the questions and tried an experiment or two.
Here is what I wanted to do: Figure out how my 3rd Grandfather was related to my Grandson. 1. I changed the Relationship settings from myself to my 3rd great-grandfather. Then I used the Miscellaneous Search functions to set the parameters I thought might produce the report I wanted.
2. Open the 'Search' Function, click on the 'Detailed' Tab
The first set - Select: Individual. Where: Dropdown box, select Surname. How, Equal. What: I entered my 3 x G Grandfather's Surname: Averill
3. Second Set: Individual, Relationship, Equal to, Related
4. Third Set: Individual, Surname, Equal to, Simonaro [my Grandson's Surname]
Use 'and' in all the slots.
Then Click the 'Create List' tab at the bottom.
Guess what? My grandson is not related.
If I set the 'and' to 'or' in the 3rd set, it produces a list of 97 people who are related.
The search list of the 97 people can be tagged and a report made.
Martha
In Los Osos, CA