Only you know exactly where these many surnames are used and if you have the SAME person entered more than once because you found something about them that used a different surname from when you first entered them in your database. Advice from this list can only give you general guidance and there is no simple step that will magically solve your problem.

Here are some features built into Legacy that can help you sort out the mess:

1. If the same person has been entered more than once Legacy will let you merge the two copies into a single person. A merge takes two records and combines then into a single person, the second copy no longer exists. During this you can transfer events, pictures etc between the two copies so that the remaining person has all the data entered for the copies. You can even transfer some data to alternate events such as alternate birth, chr/bapt, death etc. and names can be added as alternate names to maintain data from the copy that will be removed by the merge.

2. Where the same person is referred to by multiple surnames in different records you can use the Alternate Name feature to record those variations. You can even attach a source to each variation so you know where it came from.

3. Legacy has an ability to search your database and suggest possible duplicate people based on similarity in data and in family connections.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
br...@legacyfamilytree.com