From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of CE WOOD
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:06 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] FW: Chronology View

That's exactly why it is important to view the actual census page itself.
Many transcribers make egregious errors, so ancestry.com summaries, for
instance, too often contain errors in names, dates, et alia. The date that
the census taker interviews is not the date either; it is the date in the
box below NAME.

For your example

    " 22              Jul 19, 1850      Census-Household Member:    1850 US
(Hamilton P. Cole).    Columbia, Herkimer, New York, USA."

The US Census Form in 1850 used the date of June 1, 1850.
Specifically:

"Name of every Person whose usual place of abode on the first day of June,
1859, was in this family"

So, the US Census information is that he was a household member on June 1st,
1850. If the enumeration date was the 19th, that is not the date the US
Census says he was a household member.

CE

  _____