From: Brian Lightfoot
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:04 PM
To: 'Legacy User Group'
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Hi folks ... first time posting

Some people may question why you want to even do an “open with…” but for
whatever your reasons are (rather than just running the main Legacy program
directly and then choosing what family files you may want to open), you can fix
your problem with Windows with a little bit of effort. For some strange reason,
your installation of Legacy 8 did not properly register itself within the
Windows Registry therefore Windows only knows about Legacy 7.5 and its
association with certain file types such as the family database files (.fdb).
Here is how to set that association yourself.

Right click on the family database file that you’d like to Open or Open With….
From the drop down menu, the very first item at the top should be the default
application associated with this file type. I’m assuming it reads “Open with
Legacy Family Tree” but the problem is that the association is still with the
previous version of Legacy 7.5.

Select the “Open with…” option. Because you want to make a change and tell
Windows to use Legacy 8 and not Legacy 7.5, make sure you put a checkmark in
the box that says “Always use this app to open .fdb files”. Do NOT yet click on
the OK button.

Next click on the “More Apps” option (you may have to scroll down to see it).

Windows will now present a list of apps that are suggested to open that file
type. Even if you see the icon and title of Legacy Family Tree listed, it might
still be the one that points to the older version 7.5. Do NOT select that one.

Keep scrolling down until you see “Look for another app on this PC” and click
that.

You should now be looking at the standard Windows Open File dialog window.
Navigate on this window to the exact location of where you installed your
Legacy v8.0 application. The default location is probably something like
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Legacy8\Legacy.exe". Make sure you click on the
“Legacy.exe” file and then the word OPEN.

Once you click on OPEN, the proper association in Windows is now set, and your
.fdb file will open using Legacy 8. If it does not, then something is hosed
about your Legacy 8 installation in which case I’d suggest un-installing all
versions of Legacy (do not delete any family files). Then re-install Legacy 8
and you should automatically get the proper file type associations.

HTH

Brian in CA