Michele,
Legacy 8 creates the Documents\Legacy Family Tree\ folder.

I think what has happened is that you created a folder called this on your new computer and then put the folder from the old computer inside it. When you installed Legacy it used the 1st folder.

So copy things from the 2nd Legacy Family Tree folder into the first into the same folders but don't overwrite if there's a newer copy in the 1st Legacy Family Tree folder.

You should just be able to delete the \_AppData\ folder in your 2nd Legacy Family Tree folder. The only thing you need to do is make sure there is a Legacy8.lic file in the \_AppData\ folder in the 1st LFT folder.

Here's articles on how to sort out your files.

<http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00901>

<http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00962>

Cathy

Michele Morrison wrote:

Cathy I'd love your thoughts please.

I transferred my data from PAF 5 to Legacy 8 (Deluxe) and from an old
laptop to my new one.

Most went OK, just a few exceptions to tidy. I created a folder
called 'Legacy Family Tree' in my documents folder. In that Legacy
family Tree folder I have a data folder and then two data files for my
Legacy Program.
However, I somehow also have a second 'Legacy Family Tree' folder
inside the one that I created. (Lets call it Legacy Family Tree 2) and
in that there is a data folder and in that data folder I have a
similar two data files for the Legacy Family Tree program. That makes
4 data files all together instead of just 2!

So the folders look like:
Documents > *Legacy Family Tree > Legacy Family* Tree > Data >
Both of the Legacy Family Tree folders have a Data Folder and both the
Data Folders contain copies of my Data files for the Legacy Program.
To compile the problem, before I realized the problem, I seem to have
sometimes updated one and other times the other data file! Confusing!!!

I think I now have updated the data files in the first Legacy Family
Tree folder but I'm loath to simply delete the second Legacy Family
Tree folder, data folder and data files for a while till I'm sure.
The Legacy program of course finds all four of the data files instead
of just two and that leaves me prone to update the wrong files.

Can you advise. Is there some way to just put that second Legacy
Family Tree folder aside for a while so that the Legacy program
doesn't find it and I don't get confused again???
In the long run am I right in thinking I could combine Legacy Family
Tree (2) into Legacy Family Tree folder (1) which is higher up the
folder tree.
Legacy Family Tree folder (1) contains App Data (duplicate), Data,
Legacy Charts (empty), (Legacy Family Tree), Legacy FS, Media.
Legacy Family Tree folder (2) contains: AppData, Data, Legacy Charting
(charting files), Media Samples).

Confused? I sure am!
--
/Michele/

PLEASE NOTE my *NEW* email address.
I'd appreciate you adding this to your address book so we can stay in
touch.