Those companies also provide a service by building databases to index all those records for searching and operate the servers that host the service. None of that comes cheap and there are only two sources of revenue, host advertisements and get paid by the advertisers or charge the users who want to access the data. Free accounts, if they provide them, are probably there to entice a user with data in the hope they will eventually realize they need a paid account to get "All" the goodies.

As you say we are paying for convenience by supporting those who make the records available to us from the comfort of our homes via the internet.

Brian Kelly