I worked on the generation of the USA County Verifier and can attest that
several sources were used, primarily Handybook and Kane's "American
Counties" (particularly for "ghost counties" which no longer exist) along
with various websites. When the spelling for a county was in conflict
(LaSalle vs La Salle), I used the official spelling as found on the county
web page or state archives. There were even times when I contacted county
officials to confirm that the spelling was correct.

Sherry