Pete,

SourceWriter Templates are not focussed on "sites" but on Source types.
I use it successfully for UK and Australian sources.

It helps when there is a specific template for a particular source like the 1841 UK Census but it's not necessary.

What is US biased in the templates is the way the location fields are labelled. But you can use them as you like and they don't all have to be filled in for the Template to work.

The Land and Property records are probably the most US biased but that may be because I haven't worked with land records much and don't understand the various terms sufficiently.

But a Birth/Death record or Church record or Directory or Diary or Email or Internet Database or ... template can be found easily and used regardless of which country it was created in.

Which specific Irish sources are you having trouble sourcing? I don't have Irish research. I guess it might be helpful to have a specific template for the "Griffiths Valuation" if I'm remembering the title right. But hasn't there been a flood of Church Records made available recently? and the Church record templates work for anywhere.

Preparing for a User Group tomorrow where I'll be focussing on finding the right SourceWriter Template and I won't have a US example among my examples as I have so little US research and my group doesn't either.

Cathy

Pete wrote:

While this thread is about Hints, I have a slightly different, but relevant observation.

 My family has been in the US since 1880.  My research extends into Ireland, where I have conducted extensive onsite research  However, when I attempt use a source (SourceWriter), there are no templates for major sites in Ireland.  Discussions with Legacy resulted in the statement “SourceWriter templates are mostly geared for US sources”.

 I have requested that Legacy add the source templates for Ireland.  They have taken the request and placed it into the program bucket with a suggested “High” priority. Without Legacy supporting the major archives, we must “Hack” out way into recording data properly.

 My experience with this thread,  suggests that Legacy may have a major issue in supporting “foreign”/(non US) sites and data.

 Pete