You misunderstand. Hints work by automating the search function for those sites. The info Legacy sends out is similar to the data you have to manually submit to the site in order to do a search of their records. Data on one person at a time is sent in a single transmission, there is no giant submission of all the data from your file in one big lump. In fact the hint sites also want Legacy to control how often a search is performed, that is why in the hint settings you can only set the refresh (ie. the time between searches for the same person) time at a minimum of 30 days.

The benefit of hinting is that Hints submit these search requests and accumulate the responses (hits) on your behalf without you having to sit at your computer: submitting searches for each person, analyzing each screen full of responses and updating your data from those results. Hints let you know there is a potential match but you can investigate those at your leisure.

Brian Kelly