Hi all,

<grumble>

I had a similar situation. I was able to regress to v.8, but it wasn't so easy:

(1) The v.9 installer deleted my installed v.8 (without my permission). Luckily, I had kept my v.8 installer and unlock code, so I could manually uninstall v.9 and reinstall v.8.

(2) V. 9 converted the v.8 database I was working on, to its (apparently) new file format, so it wouldn't open with v.9. Luckily, I had kept regular v.8 backups, so I could restore it in v.8 regress to the very latest database before the attempted switch to v.9. Luckily, I made this decision before investing much work in my v.9 database, so the only wasted effort was the upgrade --> regress process.

(Well, I also wasted the money for v.9, because I made the mistake of paying for v.8 two weeks before the free-upgrade offer started. Under the circumstances, I thought maybe Sales would be friendly and honor the free upgrade anyway. Nah, no such luck.)

Over more than 40 years of working with software, I've learned to be pretty obsessive about keeping backups and never throwing anything away, especially things like old installers. Luckily, disk space is now cheap and plentiful, so being a packrat is not as hard as it used to be. Developers, it seems, have not gotten much better at providing a friendly process for regressing to their old version(s). I guess they figure their new versions are so wonderful and flawless that nobody would ever want to regress.

<end of grumble>

So when you move up to v.9, just be advised. For now, I'm sticking with v8.

Mike

Kris wrote:
Hi, Allen --

I upgraded to v.9 and after trying it out for a week or two reverted back to v.8. For me, the new features didn't outweigh the problems.

Regarding the "Hints" specifically, if you aren't subscribed to the sites that the hints use, it's not much help. The hints also seemed to consist mostly of information from user uploaded trees, and not original records. I get the same, or better, results using customized "Search the Internet" options in v.8.

If you DO decide to upgrade to v.9, be sure you're prepared, otherwise going back to v.8 can be difficult, if not impossible. Fortunately, I knew about the potential pitfalls before installing v.9 from the reports on this list, so it was a simple matter to switch back to v.8.

That said, this is just my experience and there are many users here who are very pleased with the new version.

Kris