From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Cathy Pinner
Sent: Wednesday, 5 July 2017 5:30 PM
To: Legacy User Group
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Dropbox for new user

Bill,
You'll find that the _AppData folder you've copied will just be a backup.

Legacy requires that folder to be at
...\Documents\Legacy Family Tree\_AppData\ folder and if not found, it is
recreated with the defaults.
That is the folder that will be updated every time you use Legacy.

This folder includes your settings some of which include paths which are
unlikely to be the same on both computers anyway.

With your data folder in Dropbox, do check for conflicted copies. Unless you
are careful to wait for upload and download to occur on both computers when
changing computer AND don't have Legacy open on both computers at once, you'll
get conflicted copies.
Unless you have very good stable fast internet, it's better to save your
backups to Dropbox rather than keep your family file there.
However, if you've got good internet and a little pat ience, it works well to
have your Data in Dropbox.

Cathy

Leon Chapman wrote:

You probably want to copy your Media files into a folder on DropBox:

I basically replication the folders on drive c:

…\DropBox\LegacyFamilyTree\Data\ &
…\DropBox\LegacyFamilyTree\Media\

Then copy your data files into the Data folder on Dropbox and copy
your media files into the Media folder on Dropbox.

You will need to set the 2 Dropbox locations as the defaults within
Legacy Options/Customize/Files on both computers.

One major problem you need to be careful to not have the same Legacy
file open on both computers. That can lead to a corrupted datafile.

Give Dropbox time to sync before opening the file on another computer
and make sure Legacy is closed on one computer before opening on
another computer.

Chap

On Jul 4, 2017, at 8:51 PM, Bill Webster <wbwebs...@internode.on.net
<mailto:wbwebs...@internode.on.net%20%0b%3cmailto:wbwebs...@internode.on.net>
<mailto:wbwebs...@internode.on.net>> wrote:

I have just carried out the following steps in my Win7 desktop
1.Downloaded and installed Legacy 9.0
2.Imported a gedcom
3.Copied (prior to deletion of the duplicate) the folder
C:\Users\Me\My Documents\Legacy Family Tree\Data to
C:\Users\Me\Dropbox\. It took a minute or two for Dropbox to upload
everything when I closed Legacy.
4.When, or if, correct, I will do the same procedure in my Win10 laptop
Should this work? Will Legacy remember this as the default path?
Should I have moved the whole Legacy Family Tree folder with its 3
subfolders (_AppData, Data and Media)?
Bill