I watched a Watch Geoff Live webinar recording last night, in which Geoff was creating a Source Citation for a Probate File he had found on-line. When it came to "Add Media" to the Citation, Geoff selected "Picture" and one of the webinar watchers asked why he had not selected "Document." I thought it worth expanding on the answer which Geoff gave as it is probably something which arises quite often.

I guess the enquirer was confused because the media was, in fact, "a document"! But in the case of Legacy Citations, the word "document" has a rather specific meaning relating to the file format, not to the nature of the Source item itself.

We usually refer to any paper file as "a document" but once it has been filmed or scanned or photographed, the resulting medium can be saved in one of two ways: either as "an image", most commonly named filename.jpg or filename.tif, or as "a document", most commonly named filename.pdf or filename.doc or with another extension relating to word processing software.

To me, the biggest advantage of attaching an image (usually ,jpg) rather than a document (usually .pdf) to a Source Citation is that an image file can be viewed within Legacy, whereas in order to view a document file, it has to be opened in an external program, such as a word processor or PDF viewer.
--
Jenny M Benson
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/