Hi Valerie

Exactly what do you mean by a GEDCOM file coming as a word document????

1. Are these files which you have been sent
2. Are they files that you have downloaded and where from
3. Are they files that you have created

Why do you think that they are word documents? Is the file name xxxx.ged?

How are you trying to open them? Per se, there is no default program
defined in Windows to open these files.

Normally, one would use a text editor - Notepad or Notepad++ - to view
these files.

Otherwise one would use a genealogy program like Legacy to IMPORT the file
and convert it to its own file format.

Can you please let us know exactly what is happening, why and where the
files are and what are you trying to do with them.

Regards

Chris