There is a Windows Store app for PC called GEDCOM Validator, which I decided to
install in order to help a researcher in the UK who thinks his software has
stuffed up its database when exporting a .GED to send to me. Unlikely, I
thought.

My UK comrade  isn't greatly "computer literate", and is using a version of
Family Tree Maker - which he reckons caused his data loss.

Has anyone tried this - GEDOM Validator, by Chronoplex Software  - free, at
Windows Store.  ??

I am using Windows 10 - it may require Windows 8 or higher (not stated), it was
released July 2017.

Legacy Family Tree handled the .GED import well enough - it baulked at a
couple of over-long person names, etc but the import to a new, blank Legacy
file seems very good. And I have looked at the raw .GED with a text editor to
fix the few obvious errors.

On the other hand, the Validator tells me it has 7631 compatibility issues with
the 16,869 lines in the .GED file - using its "best Practice" mode; less
(25821) when using just "Standards only" mode.  There is only ONE line marked
as an ERROR and this is due to the codepage.

(Other errors  are flagged for the file not being GEDCOM 5.5 compliant, as
warnings or ecommendations, and for using codepage Windows 1252. )

Ian Thomas
Albert Park, Victoria 3206 Australia