Thanks Chris - good detailed answer. My network is pretty solid, I  moved
off an old Dlink NAS last summer with SMB V1 precisely because of the
security risk (love my new Synology DS218).

Your point about the lock file and Windows networking is well taken - I
recall getting some warnings when I try to start a second instance, but
that could be the weakness, especially if Legacy has some local
configuration settings. Thanks for pointing out the Legacy configuration
repair process - next time.

And thanks Kevin - your thoughts on using backup avoids the issue. If I
simply allow the backup to happen at every exit, I can use restore when I
want to use a different PC. I probably use one PC more than 80% of the time
(in the room where my mother's paper sources are stored). The other PC is
near the printer when I want to generate reports etc. (or when my wife is
using the primary PC).

BTW I do use the Legacy cloud for the family backup but it does not backup
the media files. I have enough NAS space for frequent local backups, but I
have an external USB drive that is exchanged with a fire-safe duplicate
every two weeks and a cloud copy of critical files (such as Legacy) about
monthly because I am paranoid about backups and have spent too much time
collecting what I have.

Cheers

John