My tool tips stay visible as long as I leave my mouse pointer on the button. It does not disappear until I move off the button.

I therefore conclude that it may be your computer setup that causes this. I am not aware of any Legacy setting that will cause the tool tips to time out. There is a setting Options > General section 1.7 that controls how long it takes for the hints to pop-up but there is no duration control there. Section 1.6 also turns the tool tips on or off.

Brian Kelly