I think you have to first use File > Backup Family File and change the backup location from there to make it stick. Changing the location when closing Legacy does not work.

NOTE: If you do change the location to a portable device like a flash drive or external USB drive that device has to be connected when you start Legacy or the location will revert to the default setting.

Brian Kelly