First - names were NOT changed at Ellis Island.  The names on the manifests were from the port of departure.  So if it was written as VAllevieni on the manifest, it is because it was written that way on the manifest.

Second, I always record the birth/baptismal name as the correct names.  All other names are then AKA's or Alias names and I document those name changes for where I found them