In addition to the widespread illiteracy of the time, paper to record
information was considered an expensive luxury.  For people struggling to
pay for the basic necessities of living maintaining family records was not
very important.  Spelling of a name, birth and death dates, etc. were well
down the list in relative importance.  The family bible became an key site
to record family data.

Dean Adams

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 8:44 PM Jane Linkswiler <jcl...@cox.net> wrote:

> As I understand it, Thomas Jefferson used to see how many different ways
> he could spell words. Spelling was not standardized til the mid 1800’s.
>

> Til I heard that, I used to be soooo proud of my spelling….
>

> Jane in Phoenix

Dean