Bruce,

Brian has alerted you to the dialogue that asks if you want to copy your media. This is one way you get duplicates.

He has mis-remembered the options. There is no option to move the media.
There is an option to copy into a sub-folder of the folder listed in Options > Customise 6.2 on the second tab of the dialogue.

You can move your media wherever you like, then set Options > Customise 6.2 to your new top media folder and run the Media Relinker to relink your media PROVIDED you haven't renamed any of the files. When you use the Media Relinker, make sure that you choose not only the right media but the right media in the right folder. Then click the button to link to this particular media file and any others in this same folder.

Another option if you want all your Media in the one folder is to run the Media Relinker to make sure you have no broken links and then run the Gather Media tool which will copy all your linked media to the folder you choose. Make sure this folder is listed at Options > Customise 6.2. I'm not sure whether this is set automatically when you choose a different folder in the Gather Media tool.  You could do this and then sort the files into sub-folders and run the Media Relinker again to relink them.

Here is an article on fixing broken links.
<http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-01062/14/Tips-and-How-Tos/Finding-and-Fixing-Broken-Media-Links.html>

The Gather Media tool can also be used just to gather stray linked media that has been linked outside your normal media folder structure (designated at Options > Customise 6.2). Used in this way, make sure you don't check Copy media up from Sub Folders within the Media Folder up to the Main Media Folder.

Cathy

Brian Kelly <mailto:exma...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 23 May 2020 6:34 PM
How do you answer Legacy's question when you attach media from a place outside the default media location you have set in Options > 6. Locations > 6.2 Default location of media files? If I remember correctly when I add media from a location that is not in my default location I am asked if I want to MOVE the file to my Legacy media folder?, COPY my file to the Legacy media folder or leave the file where it is. If you choose COPY then Legacy will MAKE A SECOND COPY OF YOUR MEDIA.

To my knowledge the copy option is the only one where Legacy will make a second copy unless you have also created web pages and in that case Legacy places copies of the media (all converted to .jpg format) in Documents/Legacy Family Tree/Web/(Project name)/Media so the web pages can find them.

You can also see where Legacy sees your media by clicking the view current list of media folders.

Brian Kelly

Bruce Jones <mailto:juicebo...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 23 May 2020 9:18 AM
As I review where my Legacy media is located, I find my media duplicated in two different locations.  One where I put them, and a second in "Legacy Family Tree/Media/xxx".  Is this normal?  Is Legacy putting my data in media for a reason? I am considering reorganizing my Legacy media with document type as the lowest subfolder (aka Lesa Louise Cook).
And also considering moving all my photos to a separate folder system.
Will that cause a problem with the "media" data?