I think you may be confusing two things because of Legacy's terminology. A Timeline in Legacy is a list of historical events like US Presidents and their years of service, or Dates the states were formed. You seem to be asking for what Legacy calls a Chronology which is a list of the events in a person's life.

To see the Chronology for Walter Joseph VAUGHAN select him and simply click on the Chronology Tab. Legacy will build the Chronology using the events you have added for him so to add dates "at school" add an "at school" event (or the Legacy default Education) with the dates. Your "present at" could probably be implemented by sharing the event from the principal in the event with Walter Joseph VAUGHAN as a "witness" or with a role named "present at". For example if he was present at the wedding of his cousin you could share the cousin's marriage with Walter Joseph VAUGHAN to add that event to his Chronology.

Brian Kelly
Rockland, ON, Canada