Jenny, if filing by Surname is so ridiculous please share your better way.
If all your documents/photos are filed by the Legacy RIN how do do a search?

I name all my photos and documents using Surname, forename, birthdate,
death date.
Jenny says that's fine if you know those dates, then asks how often do you
not know?  ??
I have well over 21,000 documents/photos.
Imagine doing a name search in Legacy without being able to do it by
Surname.

Using RIN as a document identifier:
I have many instances where I am adding people to my tree only to find that
I already have them. I then have two identical people - now , with two
different RIN's - until I merge them. I try to keep the earliest RIN during
the merge.
So, how do you manage your "file name/RIN" when the RIN changes?

Does the RIN never change when you do a Check/Repair under File
Maintenance?  I know the MRIN can change.

I also have *many* people in my file without a birth date or death date.
I know that sounds ridiculous.

Bob