On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:44:39PM -0800, Neil Penman wrote:
> I wasn't at the conference in Manchester but I would
> not have put my
> hand up in favour of PD.  If the data is public domain
> then there is a
> reasonable chance that a not particularly evil
> corporation will take the
> best available map data from a number of sources,
> including OSM, and
> make it available for editing by the public but under
> their less than
> free license.

So what? Either we can provide a better experience and better value for
lots of people, in which case they would stick with us. Or we don't. In
which case we deserve to die. Lets compete on the value we create and not
rely on the restrictions we impose.

Already our current license doesn't restrict anybody from forking the
project and/or not contributing his changes back to us. So what *exactly*
is this dreaded scenario of the bad guys taking our stuff and running
with it. And how does the current license prevent that?

I think we loose a lot of mindshare haggling about the license (and maybe
waiting a few more years until a proper license can be drawn up). What
makes a great project is not that people have no choices to use or not
us it, but that people see the value in what we create and want to be
part of it.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298