In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I distribute web mapping of my special company data and OSM, I
> don't have to give my data back to OSM, right? In other words, there's
> no requirement to distribute, but also, if the map images are
> distributed, then it doesn't have to be under the same licence.

Well if you distribute the result as a database then that is a
derived database and you need to license it on the same terms
as I read things.

The wiki also implies that OSMF intends to ask for a Mozilla style
clause to make you actually offer the data back to us - at least
that is what I think it is saying. I'm not at all sure that is a
good idea though.

The wiki also says that a cartographer producing maps would need
to give their data back, but I don't see that in the license unless
they ship that map as a database rather than as a rendering. Especially
as the wiki then implies that "artistic cartography" doesn't have to
be contributed back.

> If I zip up the shapefiles used, and put them on my server for folks
> to download, then these would come under the same licence and be able
> for OSM to benefit from them?

I believe so, yes. A shapefile would be a derived database and hence
would have to be licensed on the same terms I believe.

> How about putting my propriety data and OSM together locked within an
> in-car sat nav system. Would this be classed as distribution of the
> database? What should my company do in this case?

Clearly that is distribution of the database so 4.6(b) would require
you to make an unrestricted version available.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.compton.nu/