Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> It's been proposed by me several times in the past. I think it's
> essential. I don't know of a similar major project that doesn't do some
> kind of assignment. Wikipedia is the nearest, but Wikipedia is a
> collection of articles that all stand on their own.

Can you name some which do?

> We need a situation where someone can say "Yes" when an enquiry comes
> in, not "hire a lawyer to look at license XYZ". Otherwise the data is
> useless for many purposes that everyone would agree it should be allowed
> for.

But surely a license is a codification of "what everyone agrees it
should be allowed for"?

> For example, a while ago, ITN news needed a map of Baghdad. No one could
> say for sure how much of the TV buletin they would have to release
> CC-by-sa in order to allow them to do that. Looking back at that now,
> probably "only" the final ITN styled bitmap image that is shown on the
> screen, but the designers of ITN's style guidelines probably haven't
> licensed ITN to release them.
>
> If the foundation owned the data, they could say to ITN "just show a
> logo and www.openstreetmap.org in the corner at some point", and
> everyone would be happy.

As I understand it, the new licence solves this problem.

> Another example: it would be great if an npemap type system could be
> used with OSM maps to derive a free postcode database, but license
> incompatibilities make that impossible. This is insane.

(Define "free".) You may think so. Other contributors may think it's
entirely reasonable for postcode data calculated using OSM to be BY-SA
rather than PD.

> Obviously if
> that went to any kind of vote, the foundation would allow that, but they
> don't currently have the power to allow it.

It would certainly be interesting to look at whether the licence change
would have any effect on the postcode problem.

> Yes, maybe you can come up with a license that would unambiguously allow
> the above two uses, but there will be cases where it will be in OSM's
> interests to bend the rules, and we must provide a mechanism that allows
> this.

There are negative sides to a copyright assignment. A) We probably
wouldn't get one from e.g. AND or MASSGIS (although I'm speculating). B)
It would mean the scenario I mentioned to Frederik, where a commercial
company could sue a license violator, couldn't happen, because they
would no longer be the copyright holder.

Gerv