On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Tom Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Up to now there has not been any official guidance on how to comply with
> the
> > attribution clause of our CC-BY-SA license.   This means that people
> either
> > try to do something that they hope is acceptable or they do nothing.
>  Some
> > of OSM's own outputs fall into the latter category (for example, the API
> and
> > the planet dump) which sets a bad example for others.
> >
> > At the very least we should be providing advice and guidance on how
> users of
> > the data can comply with the attribution requirement when they publish
> OSM
> > data.
> >
> > I'd like to propose that we make the following statement:
> >
> > "If you publish OpenStreetMap data you can satisfy the attribution
> > requirement of the license by linking to or referencing
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution";
> >
> > Discuss.
>
> I understand the logic of using that URL in terms of wanting to
> comply with attribution requirements for any data we import (though
> personally I don't think it should be in the wiki for fairly obvious
> reasons) but in terms of making the attribution advertise our project
> that is not a good URL to use.

We need a place for contributors to be able to add their preferred/required
form of attribution text.  A page wiki makes that easy to maintain as anyone
who wants their own specific form of attribution can add their details
there.

> I would certainly prefer that people using our data provide a link
> to www.openstreetmap.org or the top level wiki index page as that
> would do a better job of advertising our project to people that follow
> the attribution link, which is surely the whole point of us wanting
> attribution.

The purpose of this is not advertisement of the OSM project.  It is so that
users can comply with the terms of our license - users of our data have an
obligation to provide attribution.

I would prefer a url like attribution.openstreetmap.org or
www.openstreetmap.org/attribution but it should still, IMHO, point to the
same wiki page.