I’m just going to pick up on one generalisation, and not really
contribute that much to the actual topic, excuse me:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:25:09PM +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> … Almost as if to reinforce it, they capitalise the F
> in freedom;

I don’t capitalise “free software”, or “freedom” or whatever terms other
so‐called supporters of free software may mangle.  I have argued against
capitalising the terms:  The gist is that it’s a marketing gimmick, and
that’s not what free software is about; and capitalised words tend to
indicate they take on some different meaning, but free software is about
freedom, not this “Freedom” thing, whatever that is.

Simon, your friendly (uncapitalised) free software advocate.
simple system that works.—John Gall