On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Jochen Topf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 08:04:00PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > Does
> > > anybody here really think that the foundation's chairman would snatch
> > > the trademark away from his own organization? [...]
>
> Unlikely. Maybe Steve or somebody else from the foundation can shed some
> light on how this happened and what the plans are to remedy the
> situation?
>
> I see the first mentioning of the Trademark issue in the 15th November
> 2007 meeting minutes "OSMF Trademark - Steve to obtain formal quote.".
> Again in April 2008 "OSM Trademark Quote - Steve planning to do a search
> personally (L 80)". In May it is "OSM Trademark Quote - Steve still to
> progress". Later the subject seems to get lost. Maybe the unpublished
> minutes from more recent meetings have some information.
>
> What is also unclear: Are we talking about the OSM trademark or the OSMF
> trademark. In the Nov 2007 minutes its OSMF, later its OSM.
>
> > It wouldn't be the first time, but I expect it was a mistake.
>
> While we are on this topic. What about the domain name openstreetmap.org?
> It also belongs to Steve personally:
>
> > whois openstreetmap.org
> [...]
> main ID:D104738119-LROR
> Domain Name:OPENSTREETMAP.ORG
> Created On:09-Aug-2004 18:47:25 UTC
> Last Updated On:04-Aug-2007 13:39:08 UTC
> Expiration Date:09-Aug-2009 18:47:25 UTC
> Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
> Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
> Registrant ID:GODA-07651304
> Registrant Name:Stephen Coast
> Registrant Street1:68 Delancey Street
> Registrant Street2:Camden
> Registrant Street3:
> Registrant City:London
> Registrant State/Province:England
> Registrant Postal Code:NW1 7RY
> Registrant Country:GB
> Registrant Phone:+44.2076177472
> Registrant Phone Ext.:
> Registrant FAX:
> Registrant FAX Ext.:
> Registrant Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Admin ID:GODA-27651304
> Admin Name:Stephen Coast
> [...]
>
> This contradicts what Etienne said here:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-July/015071.html
>
> "The OpenStreetMap was established about a year ago to serve a number of
> purposes. [...] Specifically the foundation is the custodian of the
> servers located at UCL and the www.openstreetmap.org domain name."

I chose the words carefully.  At the time the domain name was still owned by
Steve so I used the word "custodian" to indicate that OSMF was responsible
for these things but not necessarily the owner.

I believe that Steve had indicated that he would transfer the domain name to
OSMF at it's next renewal, so the expectation was that OSMF would become the
owner of the domain name in due course.  That does not appear to have
happened.

For completeness, I should add that most of the servers at UCL are now owned
by OSMF.  The exception being some of the older and smaller machines which
still belong to the people who originally loaned them (Steve C and Nick Hill
I think).

Etienne