On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>wrote:

> 80n wrote:
> > It's my understanding that the ODbL is very different from a CC-BY-SA
> > license, so I think this would be a very unlikely thing to happen.
>
> It's a share-alike licence with some attribution provision - I'd say that,
> in fact, the two licences have pretty much the same intent. It's just that
> one works for data and the other doesn't.

It does have a share alike clause but it is different from the CC one.  As
it gives the user fewer rights it's hard to see how it would be compatible.

It does have an attribution clause but it is different from the CC one.  The
attribution is not to the original author.  Again fewer rights for the
contributor.

> "Two incompatible licences with the same intent" is broadly why FSF agreed
> to facilitate Wikipedia's migration to CC-BY-SA, too.
>

> > More importantly the Factual Information License, which is what
> > contributors
> > will actually be signing up to, is totally unlike CC-BY-SA in every
> > respect.
>
> Right - so is the proposal that contributors actually sign up to FIL?
> There's been some uncertainty over that in the past.

Database rights only exist for collections.  A single person's contribution
may not, on its own, be a database.  The only proposal I've seen, and it
appears to be a bit of an afterthought, is that contributors assign away
*all* their rights by agreeing to FIL.

I wonder if we are all discussing the wrong license?  The FIL seems to be a
much more important consideration for contributors than the ODbL.

80n