On Jun 7, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Matt Amos wrote:
> we'll look at this at the next LWG meeting and, if possible, get
> Clark's opinion.

Excellent.  And in the meantime, we should tell the JOSM folks that
it's okay to include the Terraservice URLs in their default WMS
configuration.

According to this URL, the images that you access via TerraService are
in the public domain:
     http://terraserver-usa.com/about.aspx?n=AboutTerraServiceOverview

This is not news, of course.  We've known all along that they were
just republished USGS data.  I had earlier found a web page on the
Terraservice website which has a generic Microsoft "everything you see
is copyrighted".  Regardless of that, with this explicit
acknowledgement of the public-domain nature of the images, it seems
safe enough to use them.

JOSM should use these names (which respect Microsoft's desire to be
acknowledged) with these URLs:

Terraservice DOQ
http://terraservice.net/ogcmap.ashx?version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&Layers=DOQ&Styles=&SRS=EPSG:4326&format=image/jpeg&;
Terraservice  Topo