On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Frederik Ramm<frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> Before, the reverse engineering clause would have kicked in and forced
> FSM to be under ODBL. In the future, the above will be fully legal, and
> the resulting FSM database, which contains facts derived from OSM data
> but which were not in database form, can be distributed as a BSD
> product. This has been "earned" by FSM through the manual work involved
> in re-creating a database from a non-database.
>
> Ist that correct?

my understanding is that, because we have database rights (and
possibly other IP rights) in the original database, the re-created
database is still (a substantial extract of) an ODbL licensed
database.

RichardF's findings on tracing over photographs make me wonder whether
similar arguments can be made for tracing over rendered images.

cheers,

matt