Ed Avis schrieb:

> If it is not possible to take one ODbL-licensed work, and combine it
> with another ODbL-licensed work to make a third ODbL-licensed work,
> then either the ODbL is even worse than it first appears, or the
> proposed OSM implementation of it is flawed.

The ODbL certainly allows that. However if individual submissions to OSM
were licensed under ODbL then OSM would be locked in to that license.

I think ODbL is a good license for OSM, but I'm not sure it will remain
the best possible license forever, so I think being able to change the
license is important.

>> Yes but it also requires more trust from the mappers. If OSMF has
>> copyright assigned, then Google can subvert the OSMF and have the OSMF
>> board decide to grant Google a full commercial license with no strings
>> attached for the symbolic price of $1.
>
> The current wording of the page says that the OSMF can grant any
> licence they want as long as it is 'free' and 'open', which hardly
> rules out the above scenario.

The community vote makes sure the OSMF can't do that: "or another free
and open license chosen by a vote of the OSM Foundation membership and
approved by a vote of active contributors."