Hi,

Matt Amos wrote:
>> Or could we perhaps even specify that anything that doesn't use our
>> geometry is not substantial? A list of all pubs in Madrid would be
>> substantial since it needs geometry; a list of all pubs on the planet
>> would not be substantial. That would neatly cover anyone wanting to use
>> any number of OSM IDs for linking as he would never use the geometry
>> from OSM.
>
> are you suggesting that someone wanting to run beerintheOSM would have
> to have a worldwide scope? it wouldn't even be possible to be
> country-specific because that would give it a geographic scope and
> therefore depend on the geometry?

I was thinking that if he relies on *our* geometry then he's making a
substantial extract, whereas if he uses some other means to list the
pubs in, say, England and then just references our nodes, that's ok then.

In one case he has the data already (name of pub + as much knowledge
about the location as required for his application) and only links to
OSM as an additional source of info. In the other case he is using OSM
to find information in the first place.