On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:09:30PM +0100, Mike Collinson wrote:
> I believe there was a discussion that "viral" does necessarily mean
> "reciprocal", hence the use of the word. I'll check tomorrow if no one else
> comes back.

If you get down to various meanings already documented in English,
neither “viral” nor “reciprocal” are perfect fits.  I agree that “share
alike” is also a good alternative.

“viral”, although it does not necessarily mean something bad (infectious
smile :) ), it has bad connotations which are just used to bring
licenses such as the GPL into bad light.  Software under the GPL license
does not inject itself into other software and automatically make the
result licensed under the GPL, contrary to some belief.

“reciprocal” is better, but the mutuality of reciprocation isn’t quite
provided by share alike licenses:  Share alike says: “I give you this,
and allow you to do stuff with it, on the condition that if you give it
to someone else, you also allow them to do all this stuff.”  It does not
necessarily mean that you have to give it back.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall