On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM, 80n <80n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> are there easter eggs in OSM? i thought we followed the "on the
> >> ground" rule? ;-)
> >
> > The two are not mutually exclusive.  Ordnance Survey are well known for
> > having very accurate maps, they are also known to have easter eggs.
>
> sure. but each easter egg is a deliberate inaccuracy.
>
> >> it isn't a good method of establishing grounds if the data may have
> >> been modified by the inclusion of 3rd party data, or processed in a
> >> way which would change the visual texture of the data. basically,
> >> while sometimes you can be sure there's a derivative database or that
> >> data is from OSM, a lot of times you can't be.
> >>
> > I think you've lost the thread.  Now, you are arguing that you can't spot
> > derivative database.
>
> i've been arguing that from the start. not only have i been saying
> it's difficult to tell if there's a derivative database, i've been
> saying it's the same difficulty as telling if a map is derived from
> OSM, or if a binary contains modified GPL code, or if a service is
> using modified AGPL code.

It's clearly not the same difficulty.   And the point of this is that it's
going to be almost impossible to detect a derived database in use.  You said
yourself that you'd just assume that anyone processing OSM data would be
presumed to be using a derived database.

The example I described above clearly demonstrates that you can't
differentiate between company A who doesn't use a derived database and
company B who does.  You counter example, that maps are just as difficult is
hardly relevant, and incorrect anyway.  In most cases you can detect the
infringment because you would have the evidence in front of you.

The reality is that the derived database rule is almost unenforceable in the
way that you describe it.  It would be a massive drain on OSMF resources to
try enforcing such a policy and would certainly be a very strong case for
many commercial companies to avoid OSM data like the plague.