Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 19:43, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>> I am not bothered about individual contributions because everyone who
>> contributes *knows* what OSM is like and that he cannot expect to get
>> personal attribution. If someone however has released something under
>> CC-BY-SA without knowing OSM, they have reason to expect that wherever
>> their work is used, they are given credit, and OSM doesn't do that.
>
> Whether someone "knows" OSM or not doesn't change how their
> contributions should be treated. Both works (in your example) were
> submitted under the same terms and should be treated exactly the same.

I think there is a difference, certainly morally but even legally. If
you submit, under CC-BY-SA, data to an online map which clearly does not
give the names of all contributors, and later claim that the map was
violating your terms, that is something different from publishing your
data on a web page under CC-BY-SA and then complaining that someone took
it, put it in a web map, and didn't provide attribution.

I agree with your "*should* be treated the same" but I think the evil is
lesser in one case than in the other.