On 19 July 2010 22:16, Simon Ward <si...@bleah.co.uk> wrote:

> To my knowledge the contract isn’t automatically transferred, although
> it occurs to me that it could be a condition of the licence that the
> contract is also adhered to. I’m not sure this is the case.

To the best of my knowledge, violating a contract and making the data
available doesn't make the data public domain. Richard Fairhurst pointed out
some legal issues about this. To quote him from higher up in the thread:
Under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, "a person who is not
a party to a contract (a 'third party') may in his own right enforce a term
of the contract if... the term purports to confer a benefit on him".
A quick talk with a friend who is a lawyer made abundantly clear that third
parties don't have the right to access the data in the first place, since
the data was "stolen" through a contract breach in the first place. It would
be very very difficult to plead good faith in this case.
Then again, we are talking about one aspect of the licence which may be used
since it depends on your jurisdiction and the sets of law governing your
jurisdiction. It will be very different in France where the concept of moral
rights cannot be removed from someone. Copyrights and other "intellectual
property" mechanisms will vary very strongly between countries.

Emilie Laffray