Hi,

Kai Krueger wrote:
That however does still leave the substantial portion of
mappers who have ticked the "I declare my edits to be PD" option, which
surely makes them no longer compatible with these sources. These mappers
therefore then presumably can not use those sources without being in breach
of contract or license.

Dunno - according to your logic, a mapper who declares his edits PD would not be allowed to edit an object that a non-PD mapper has created (because what the PD mapper uploads would be based on a non-PD source).

Personally, I view the "I declare my edits PD" button as reading

"I hereby declare that I will not pursue copyright on any copyrightable action I might make in OSM"

which does not mean that all third-party copyright in something I touch become automatically void.

388 users have declared their edits to be PD on the Wiki for a long time, and I don't think any of them have restricted their editing to PD sources exclusively.

So it seems editors will need to keep track of background image licenses
anyway and with what they are compatible in order to warn or prevent the
user in an adequate way.

No, I don't think so.