The second clause grants “OSMF a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive,
perpetual, irrevocable license to do any act that is restricted by
copyright over anything within the Contents.  It has been debated that
this is even necessary already, so I’m not going to start on that…

What I would like to ask is can this be tied to the foundation’s stated
aim?

  OpenStreetMap Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the growth,
  development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing
  geospatial data for anybody to use and share.

That is, the grant only lasts so long as OSMF exists and has that aim,
and does not have a conflicting aim.

Is this useful?  Would it help appease those concerned about the broad
rights grant?

What happens if OSMF is subsumed by another organisation (can it be?),
or becomes an organisation, that explicitly has a commercial interest?

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall