Some time ago the question was raised of what happens if you extract data from an ODbL produced work that is under BY-SA.

The concern was that the resulting database would cause a conflict between the ODbL and BY-SA as it would be a derivative both of the ODbL database and of the BY-SA produced work, thereby triggering both licences' mutually incompatible share-alike clauses.

I asked about this on the odc-discuss list. The answer is informative and I recommend reading it in full:

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/odc-discuss/2010-August/000291.html

My understanding of the answer is that the data isn't what you are licencing under BY-SA. You are licencing the originality/creativity involved in making the produced work. So when you extract the data, you have not extracted anything that is covered by BY-SA. Any database you create as a result is therefore not covered by BY-SA, so the ODbL applies without clashing. And the user knows this because of the ODbL advertisement attached to the BY-SA work.

This is elegant but it took me a while to get my head around it. :-)

- Rob.