Ed,

Ed Avis wrote:
And vice versa. "I want to import <dataset> and that's why we cannot use <license>" is tail-wagging-dog as well.

Are you saying that any argument based on data imports is irrelevant to the
choice of licence?

What, then, would be an admissible reason for not using <licence>, in your view?

In my opinion, the license must be chosen according to what's best for the project in the long term; short term considerations should not apply.